Though it was decomnissioned in 1985, parts of the highway can still be found streatching across the desert. Make it a point to stop at the small towns and see if any events are going on!
Oatman has undergone a renaissance of sorts in recent years thanks to burgeoning worldwide interest in Route 66 and the explosive growth of the nearby gaming town of Laughlin, which promotes visits to the town. Wild burros freely roam the town and can be hand-fed hay cubes known as burro chow,available in most shops.Learn More »
Kingman, Arizona, was founded in 1882, when Arizona was still Arizona Territory. Situated in the Hualapai Valley between the Cerbat and Hualapai mountain ranges, Kingman is known for its very modest beginnings as a simple railroad siding near Beale’s Springs in the Middleton Section along the newly constructed route of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad.Learn More »
The town has the Hualapai Lodge, a motel and a small grocery market with fuel. It is the nearest town to Hualapai Hilltop, which is the trailhead from which hikers descend the 8-mile (13 km) trail, with a drop of 2,004 feet (611 m), to the town of Supai, Arizona, from which the renowned Havasu Falls and three other waterfalls can be visited.Learn More »
Between 1889-1891, Seligman was established by the Theut and Moultrie families. Both were prosperous slaughterhouse owners in Southern antebellum families who lost everything in the Civil War and the following Reconstruction periods.Learn More »
In Arizona, the highway originally covered 401 miles (645 km) in the state. Along much of the way, US 66 paralleled I-40. It entered across the Topock Gorge, passing through the ghost town of Oatman along the way to Kingman. Between Kingman and Seligman, the route is still signed as SR 66. Notably, just between Seligman and Flagstaff, Williams was the last point on US 66 to be bypassed by an Interstate. Holbrook also contains one of the two surviving Wigwam Motels on the route.
Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In is a historic eatery and roadside attraction located along former Route 66 in Seligman, Arizona USA. The drive-in was built in 1953 by local resident Juan Delgadillo (May 17, 1916 - June 2, 2004). Delgadillo was working on an extremely limited budget, so he built the restaurant mostly from scrap lumber obtained from the nearby Santa Fe Railroad yard.
To bring attention to the restaurant, Delgadillo sliced the roof off of a 1936 Chevrolet hardtop, adorned the automobile with paint, horns and various automotive emblems and even an artificial Christmas tree in the rear of the car.
While researching the history of Route 66 for the 2006 motion picture Cars, John Lasseter met Delgadillo's brother, Seligman barber and Route 66 historian, Angel Delgadillo, who told him how traffic through the town virtually disappeared on the day that nearby Interstate 40 opened. Both brothers are acknowledged in the film's credits.